Unfortunately to watch our videos you’ll need to install Flash. Install Flash now.
History of William Lawrence Camp
Founded in 1913, William Lawrence Camp is one of the oldest camps in the United States. An independent, not-for-profit organization, the camp grew out of an affiliation with the Episcopal Church; specifically the Episcopal diocese of Massachusetts. At the time, the Bishop of Massachusetts was the well-respected William Lawrence. William Lawrence was an early advocate of camping and was committed to providing healthy opportunities for youth; as a result the founders of the camp named it after him.
Our relationship with the church continued into the late sixties. Many families learned of the camp through their local Episcopal parishes. Sunday services throughout the summer by visiting clergy held in the inspiring outdoor chapel were a mainstay of the program. Still embracing a philosophy of teaching the importance of commonly shared values and ideals, in the late sixties the camp ended its association with the church.
William Lawrence Camp remains committed to providing today’s youth with healthy opportunities for fun, adventure and growth. At camp, a boy learns new skills, develops self-confidence and makes friends for a lifetime. The camp’s Mission Statement is as follows:
“William Lawrence Camp provides a spirited, challenging and safe environment that promotes self-esteem and the physical, social and intellectual development of boys and young men.”
As a not-for-profit, the operation of the camp is supported by a Board of Trustees. Through their commitment, strong enrollment and the support of many others, from current camper families to alumni and friends, the camp remains a vital place of learning for today’s and tomorrow’s youth and young men.